Traditional Christmas Decorating Ideas and Trends in 2022
After years of uncertainty, separation and sacrifice, Christmas 2022 is set to be a special one. There seems to be a positive drive to create the best Christmas yet; to ensure that this holiday season is joyful, celebratory and a time to make precious memories.
Here, we share our ideas for stylish, festive home decor. From tablescapes to tree decorations, Christmas lights to colour schemes that work with your interior design styles. Read on to discover simple ways to decorate your home and create a feeling of Christmas cheer.
What are the trends for Christmas 2022?
These are our favourite five Christmas decorating ideas for this year. You’ll find some traditional elements, along with festive holiday decor with a modern twist.
1. Nostalgia: a classic Christmas always has us reminiscing about years gone by. There’s something comforting about familiar festive icons. Don’t forget much-loved Christmas classics like candy canes, gingerbread, Christmas stockings, Santas, advent calendars, pom poms and twinkling string lights. They provide a feel-good factor.
2. Natural: with many of us trying to ditch plastic, there’s a trend for more nature-inspired Christmas ornaments. Think pinecones, greenery, holly and festive flowers like poinsettia. Opt for a real pine garland, Christmas tree or Christmas wreath. You’ll get the wonderful fragrance from these natural elements as well as the beauty.
3. Festive front doors: a showstopping entryway is very instagrammable. Give your home some Christmassy kerb appeal by adding a beautiful Christmas wreath or festive pine garland. It looks really inviting and welcoming to visitors.
4. Tablescapes: people are going all out on their table settings this year. Make the dining room table a Christmas centrepiece with an on-trend colour scheme and stylish accessories. Your guests will feel special with a beautiful place setting - colour co-ordinated linen napkins, candle holders and floral displays. You could even add festive fruits as in this photo.
5. Focal fireplace: the mantelpiece is the star of the living room this Christmas. Add a natural garland and then layer it with Christmas lights, ornaments and festive tartan (plaid) or red ribbon for a traditional festive look or the colour to suit your festive design scheme.
Our top 5 colour trends for Christmas 2022
What are the Christmas colours this year? Our colour trends for 2022 comprise more traditional Christmas shades and also some more unusual festive colour schemes. For slick interior design this Christmas, pick a colour scheme and embrace it. Use it on tablescapes, tree decorations, mantelpieces and Christmas gift wrapping. It will elevate your holiday home style to another level.
● Green and Gold
Metallic trimmings add a touch of glam to any colour scheme, but particularly deep green. Green is the colour of nature, even in the depths of winter - holly, pine trees, eucalyptus and herbs like rosemary and sage. Combine these green tones with luxurious gold. The combination of colours and textures is something special. Try a gold tree topper and Christmas ornaments against the deep green branches of the tree, or gold stars and baubles against a green wall (pictured here is Mylands Pleasure Gardens Green™).
● White and Silver
This style choice is perfect for those longing for a minimalist winter wonderland. Decorate with snowflakes, snow globes, candles and minimalist ornaments. In this photo, the dining table has been given a Christmas makeover with Mylands FTT-004™ silver paint to great effect. This colour combination works well in large or small spaces.
● White and Gold
Add some warmth and luxury to a purely white Christmas with gold decorations. Dress a frosted tree with gold baubles and ornaments. Drape a gold tree skirt around the base to hide the practical container and add stylish elegance. It’s a classy and sophisticated colour pairing.
● Pink and Orange
A more unusual choice for Christmas, pink and orange creates warm holiday cheer. This pairing does have Christmas connotations though. Pinks and oranges are found in candy canes, Quality Streets and festive fruits (think pomegranates and satsumas). Pink and orange are happy, uplifting colours to brighten up a winter’s day.
● Dark Blue and Pink
Dark blue has been a popular style choice for living rooms of late. Pink adds warmth, vibrancy and fun, perfect attributes for Christmas. Set pink ball ornaments against the blue backdrop of the wall. Soften your ‘mantelscape’ with pink florals and candles. This is a smart and elegant style choice.
How do I choose a Christmas theme colour?
Firstly, think about how you want to feel and how you want your guests to feel. Are you trying to recreate Christmases gone by, or start some new traditions?
What are you working with - a large, open area or a more intimate, small space? That may help you to determine whether to go for lighter or darker colours.
Think about your existing colour schemes and how you want to enhance them. Metallics will add sparkle and glamour. Natural greens add comfort and reassurance along with an air of nostalgic tradition. Plus, natural greenery is ideal for DIY displays and decorations.